Monday, November 19, 2007

Head Meets Wall

As with everything else in life, fantasy football requires a bit of luck. You do your research and try to draft the right people, pickup the right people, start the right people. You pray that the guy you're playing that week doesn't blow up and have everyone on his team score 20 points a piece. You hope that when you have a bad week, your opponent has a worse one. No matter how much prep work we do, in the end it all comes down to luck.

So, I'm not sure what I did to the gods or karma or what-the-fuck-ever but my luck has been nothing short of shitty lately. I've worked all year to put together teams that win; teams that score points, teams that have depth. I've built and rebuilt and rebuilt again and again following injuries or poor play. I've made trades, picked up free agents and snagged guys off the waiver wire all in hopes of weekly victory that just isn't coming.

I'm so fucking frustrated I'm losing my goddamn mind. The past three weeks, arguably the most important for my season, I've played the top teams in each respective league and put up points against them, only to lose each time because some player they have goes off and sets an NFL record. It's fucking bullshit.

What did I do? Did I bite the head off a fuzzy little puppy? Did I unknowingly run over a baby with a monster truck? Did I Cleveland steamer my wife? The answer is no. Of course not. So what the fuck is going on? Can I please for the love of God get a little fucking luck over here? Is that really too much to ask? I'm fighting for my playoff life for Christ's sake. Just give me an effing break, dammit.

I'm not looking at anything having to do with fantasy today. I'm forcing myself to take a break for my own sanity. I need to calm down, catch my breath and get myself back to neutral, lest I go on a murderous rampage. I can see it now:

Judge - Son, why did you kill all those people?
Me - Because, sir, my fantasy teams were shitting the bed. I just couldn't take it anymore.
Judge - Oh. That's understandable.

Fuck! Things better turn themselves around by tomorrow. I'm probably not watching the game tonight. Someone let me know how it turns out.

No comments: