Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bye Bye Birdie

Apparently, when things get tough, the tough get going. And I don't mean moving in the right direction. Or maybe it's the pussies that turn tail and boogy out at the first sign of trouble. Yeah, I think that's closer to the truth, especially in the case of Bobby Petrino. What else could it look like to your everyday football fan. The team hits a rough patch, falls on some hard luck and a quarterback who preferred throwing dogs to footballs and the coach, a day after the owner of the team went on national TV proclaiming faith in him, sneaks out of town in the middle of night to return to the college coaching ranks, leaving nothing but a pitiful note and a bunch of bad memories in his wake. Maybe Bobby's a good coach and maybe he's not. But one thing he's definitely not is a man.

The Atlanta Falcons certainly didn't deserve that kind of treatment. If he didn't want to coach the rest of the year, fine. At least give your employer a little notice. That's what any half decent human being would do. If I wanted to quit my job, I'd at least have the balls to put in my two weeks and work them, no matter who I worked for. It's a little thing called personal ethics and integrity. It's something that fathers teach their sons. It's the right way to go about things. But it looks like Bobby never got those lessons.

Arkansas is sure luck to be getting such an upstanding guy to lead their team. A real life model citizen. A role model for the kids. Just ask the people of Atlanta. I bet they'd elect him mayor of the city if he ran, possibly even if he didn't. In fact, they're probably already planning the parade...for his death. I can't wait for the first game Arkansas finds themselves down at halftime. I bet half the team quits.

Since this is a fantasy site, I'll reign in my vitriol for a bit to discuss the ramifications of Bobby's move. Everyone over at CBS seems to think this is the end of Roddy White's career. Personally, I just can't see it. Petrino was supposedly an offensive genius and that well may be true. I've seen offensive genius' coach NFL teams before - see Brian Billick - and I'm convinced they have very little to do with offensive production. The fact of the matter is that Roddy is the only wide receiver on that team who can catch a damn ball. Michael Jenkins is the Edward Scissor-hands of the NFL and Alge, as much as I like him, has lost more than a few steps over the past two seasons. Roddy's done well thus far considering the cast around him. The quarterback carousel continues its slow death spin to loserville. Chris Redman has looked like their best quarterback all year, which should tell you more than a little something. Yet Roddy still puts up numbers.

Now, don't let me snow you, I'll never purport him as a lock starter every week. But, depending on the league, he's at least a matchup play, especially against teams with good offenses and mediocre defenses. You know the Falcons are going to be down. A lot. Meaning a lot of passing. Couple that with Roddy being the number one, only reliable receiver and he's guaranteed to have a fair share of balls thrown his way.

Basically, what it all boils down to is this: Bobby Petrino's hasty exit will have no affect on the Falcon player's fantasy production or value. And since Roddy is really the only player on the team with more than marginal fantasy value I can confidently say Roddy White will not suffer because of the absence of Bobby Petrino. If I was to go out on limb, I might even say that perhaps this turn of events would spun improved play on the part of the Falcons. Think about it. If you were on that team, wouldn't you want to succeed just to show up the coach that left you mid-season. I know I would and I know Deangelo will try. He's probably dancing a jig right about now. It's like when your girlfriend breaks up with you and you start running all the time and going to the gym just to show her what she's missing out on. Living well is the best revenge.

I won't say go out and pick up as many Falconites as you can, but don't worry about Roddy. Roddy will be fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will say one word regarding Petrino: Gutless.

While this week the focus is on him bailing on the Falcons because he can't cut it in the NFL, few remember an even clearer incident from 2003. Namely, when...as a former member of Auburn's staff...he tried to backdoor Tommy Tuberville into the head coaching spot at Auburn. After being found out, he stated up and down that he never did such a thing...

While we are on the topics of terrible Ravens Offensive Coordinators...when is Rick Neuheisel going to get a new college job?

You might remember him as the guy that got canned for winning big in an NCAA basketball pool.

Since that happened, he sued both the NCAA and University of Washington and won the settlement! Then he got an NFL coaching job. That might literally be the best offensive game plan he has ever come up with.