Monday, December 3, 2007

Scrumming the Line

Jeremy's Back

That's right folks, the prodical son has returned. Jeremy, aka "two holes and a heartbeat", posted today for the first time in who knows how long. He didn't really tell us anything but that's not why we liked him anyway. We liked him for his boyish charm and hands so soft they'd make an angel cry. Welcome back buddy!

Continuing My VT Rant From Yesterday

Since you're all such good followers of the cult called professional sports, like me, I'm sure by now you know how the BCS rankings shook out. Honestly, I'm fine with how the national championship ended up. That should be a good game, though Ohio State kinda reminds me of a common fluffer getting the starring role in a Debbie Does Dallas video. One really shouldn't be able to back into a national championship like they did. Note to every other team in the nation: Screw strength of schedule and book puff-ball non-conference games. Just make sure, unlike Michigan, you can actually win them. Is a shitty non-conference schedule a requirement in the Big 10?

The Hokies ended up No. 3, thanks in no part to the voters who put them at 5th and 6th. Being ranked 1st in the computer poll was the only thing that pulled them through, but hey I take it. I trust the computers way more than anyone who has a vote in the Harris or the Coaches Poll. I'm not going to bemoan a matchup vs. Kansas mostly because we have a really good shot at winning - something Tech has struggled with from time to time in the bowl game. What I really have a problem with was, again, the press coverage. Yesterday, during a three hour bowl selection special on ESPN, the VT vs. Kansas game was only talked about once, excluding the initial announcement of the Orange Bowl selections. One damn two minute discussion for a BCS game. Not only that, but the segment didn't air until 10:27 pm, thirty minutes from the end of the show. By that time they had already aired and re-aired interviews with both Les Miles and Jim Tressel. Not that the national championship game isn't important but the Orange isn't the Gaylord Music Bowl over here. Fuck, I think they even talked about that one before they got to the Orange. Plus, when the ESPN experts finally sloughed their way over to the game all they talked about was how Kansas didn't deserve to be there and how much the situation in Corso's words, "Sucked". Then they talked on the phone to Kansas' fat coach who looked like he had eaten half to three quarters of his offensive line. Fuck you ESPN!

Fallen Heroes

As Jeremy mentioned, the deadskins...cough...Redskins (is it wrong to call them that now?) held their first game since Sean Talyor's death. I thought they did a really nice job of honoring him with the video and the ring of honor. Unfortunately, they couldn't give him the honor of a win, with a seemingly senile Joe Gibbs inexplicably calling two timeouts in a row to move Lindell's field goal attempt from a 51 yarder to a much easier 36-yard game winning attempt. Of course, he made the kick, much to the chagrin of Skins fans and the delight of Jeremy. I know Joe was out of football for a while but hasn't that rule always been around? Like since the dawn of time?

Somehow the whole thing got me to thinking about what I would do if my favorite player died, assuming I had a favorite player. I've got a couple friends who are Skins fans and I know for a fact at least one of them would tell you that Sean was/is his favorite player. So what does he do now? Is it disrespectful to arbitrarily pick another guy as your number 1? Who do you cheer for? Personally, I think I would, at minimum, boil the guy's jersey and eat it with a nice glass of chianti. Do you think there's any way to get at the eyes without exhuming the body? It's the only way to absorb the soul. I've got to think I'd hold off on picking a new guy, choosing instead to applaud the team as a whole, until the end of the season out of respect. Moving on is important but doing so too fast, like a gold-digger reveling in her newly gained millions, just looks like you never cared in the first place.

5 comments:

Dk said...

Okay, as a moderate Skins fan living in the midwest, I get to watch almost zero Redskins games this year. I'm too cheap for cable or anything else - and play-by-play on the internet is just pathetic. Actually, oddly enough this Thursday, I get to watch a game that almost no one else gets to watch, and no I didn't see the one that people actually care about this past week.

Of course you pick a new favorite player, after you mourn the loss. You can hold out till next season if you'd like, and pick a new player from the entering class. But having a favorite player means somtimes you have to let go. I liked Doc Gooden as a child, but clearly that was a poor character choice and I moved on. Another favorite of mine, Kevin Hatcher was traded to a rival team (I believe). Presently, I root for Big Brother Manning, Olie the Goalie, Rex Grossman (feels so good to watch the Bears suffer - his inconsistency is the best part - I totally savor it - I realize that they are currently the home town team - but Griese sucks and they should've known better - have you seen Orton - wow, that dude), Texiera, Jason Campbell, and Carl Edwards (99). Yeah, I could make better choices, but I didn't.

Okay - that was totally rambling... but I'll needlessly continue ...

The BCS is a joke - clearly should be revised. And the big 10 is as well, did they even have a championship game? I must have missed it. The talk of USC in it was ridiculous. Why not just pick the most popular teams with the most history in the country and watch them battle it out regardless of talent.

Disclaimer - I watched almost zero college football this year - zero, not even highlights and I have no room to talk, but since I haven't commented in a while, I thought you deserved a long one, even if it is senseless.

Go to a playoff college football!!! Either way, I probably won't be watching.

Calitri said...

First, Doc Gooden was the shit. As a kid I actually preferred his line buddy, Darrell Strawberry. I've still got over 50 of his baseball cards. You think they'll ever be worth anything? I doubt it, but as a kid you don't thankfully understand that professional athletes are real people with lives and drug addictions. Ah, the innocence of youth.

Second, I don't think rooting for Rex to suck eggs makes him a candidate for your list of supportees. I like seeing Rex fuck up the collective mood of an entire city as much as the next guy, but I'd never say he was one of my favorite players - even if only to make fun of him.

Third, the Big 10 does not have a championship game because they only have ten teams. The rules state that a conference must have at least 12 teams to hold a championship game. Why? I have no idea. Like most things in college football, there's no logic to be found there.

Why not just pick the most popular teams with the most history in the country and watch them battle it out regardless of talent.

Trust me Dan, that's what they did.
And if you're waiting for Northwestern to get good before immersing in college football, I'd say keep waiting.

Oh yeah, and if you could do me a favor and replace "regardless" with "irregardless" from henceforth, that would be great. The double negative really adds a little flair to an otherwise drab word.

Dk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dk said...

Irregardless has it's own wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless That's sweet.

And you're right, I hate Rex, I love Rex, I hate Rex, I love Rex ... ah the long ball ... doh the interception ... ah the lazer pass ... doh those fumbly hands.

Dude - Northwestern will never win at football ... that's why I chose to root for the schools my friends went to, like VT and Maryland. NU wins things like women's lacrosse (3 years in a row) and probably things like tennis and golf. But in order to comply with Title IX and still have a half-ass football team - they do not have a men's lacrosse team. It strikes me as irridiculous.

"The descriptive approach to 'irregardless' is to note that it is considered nonstandard by educated people." from WikiPedia

Irregardless, I hope you enjoy that. When was that time you heard someone use irrespective?

It's like pressing "send" and then think - oh shit - only here it let's you revoke the comment and simultaneously let's the world know you're nonstandard.

Calitri said...

Two quick corrections:

Not tennis but table tennis and not golf but miniature golf.

Nice use of irridiculous by the way. Instant classic.

You remember when we'd play ping pong in your parents basement for hours on end? Sometimes ding dang rules, sometimes not. Those were the days.

P.S. I already knew you were nonstandard and told the world about two years ago. Just thought you should know.