Monday, October 8, 2007

Review: Ron Anish - Week 4 - Dud List

Let me just put this out there before I start. This review is not going to be good, mostly because after running 11 miles I can barely hold my head up. If your not one of the privileged few and are asking yourself, "What in the hell did he run 11 miles for?" Well, I'll tell you. I am in the unenviable position of being slotted to run a marathon at the end of the month. Really, 11 miles should be a walk in the park at this point but my training hit a snag when I went down with a knee injury and had to sit out a month and a half waiting for it to heal. I just started running again three weeks ago and tonight was my first foray into the double digits in two months. Needless to say, I'm a tiny bit tired right now. I'll try to muster something up for Mr. Anish but I make no promises.

Overall Grade: C (2.2)

The Good

Starting Brett Favre in week 4 was a good call, though I'm not sure why Ron doesn't have him on the stud list. He's only been one of the best, highest scoring, most consistent QB's in the league this year. What more does a guy have to do?

Sticking with the QB's but flipping to the pine riding side of things, Philip Rivers performed just as our guru expected racking up a gaudy 4 fantasy points. I pray to God no one out there is starting this loser. Wait, I'm being unduly harsh. Rivers does shoulder some of the burden but can you really point a finger any where but Norv's direction? I can't think of another situation where a new coach inherits a great team, one with the best record in the NFL, and systematically runs - or doesn't run, if you know what I mean - them into the ground to start the season. I thought firing that guy with the long name I don't feel like looking up or typing was a bad decision when the San Diego higher-ups decided to do it in the offseason and I think you can see that as usual, I was right. Of course they did perform much better in week 5 but I can't bring myself to trust them yet. Put together a streak of a couple games, then come talk to me.

Benching Warrick Dunn and Tatum Bell, you already knew that right? Atlanta's running game is in shambles right now and Martz has never had any use for a running back who can't catch a ball out of the backfield. Fearless prediction: neither of these guys goes shit all year.

Ron was hitting on sits, but missing on the starts in every category. Maybe that was just indicative of the week, but at least he was good for something with sit picks like Joey Galloway and Ronald Curry - two players you might have used with decent matchups but shouldn't have.

The Bad and The Ugly

I harped on it in my last review and by the grace of God Ron listened, though I doubt it was because of my prompting, and updated his Stud lists. Maybe not exactly the way I would have went but it's the thought that counts, right?

Well, it seems those updates didn't quite work for our boy this week. In the long run, I think they were the right moves, there was simply a lot of under-performing in week 4, which I know screwed a good many of us. Ron earned no better than a C+ on any stud list, and I think I'm pretty generous in the grading of those.

Sidenote: The fact that I haven't given anyone an A or B all year for their overall grade is a bit concerning. I thought the gurus would do better. I was wrong. I've got a system and I'm sticking to it. I may have to come up with some kind of curve if these guys keep sucking but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm confident someone can pull out a good week. The sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while, right?

Speaking of bad, I'm watching the Monday night game as I write. Owens owners, how ya feeling right now? One pass for fourteen yards against a bruised and beaten secondary halfway through the 3rd quarter just isn't going to cut it. I guess Romo throwing four interceptions isn't helping anything. Ugh, that's 8 points down the drain. There may be a changing of the guard at the top of the QB rankings after this week. Buy low candidate? I wish.

The Breakdown

Quarterbacks: C+ (2.3)
Running Backs: C (2.0)
Wide Recievers: C (2.0)
Tight Ends: C+ (2.5)

No comments: