Thursday, September 13, 2007

Review: Fantasy Sharks - Week 1





Oh yeah, baby. I've found my bitch. He came floating to the top of the tank, belly up. Allow me to introduce my newest whipping boy, Ron Anish. I know I said that I'd take the Sharks as a school but this dude is doing a Start/Bench list every week, which fits nicely into the mold of my other gurus.

Let's get to it!

Overall Grade: C+(2.3)

The Good:

Sometimes you just don't know about a guy. You're trying to read the signs for all they're worth but they contradict, adding up to nothing more than a jumbled mess. This was how I felt about Tony Romo; that is, until Sunday night. It's those kind of ray of light performances that make you aware of the possibilities. Apparently, Ron saw the light well before I did because he was on top of this one from the start. Well done Ron! Well done.

Before the season, I labeled Travis Henry a bust. I'm not going to turn tail and run now but he did look awfully good against the Bills. Again, Ron was right on it. He also warned of the dangers of starting Jamal Lewis. Of course, living in Baltimore, I'm well aware of the danger, but it was nice of him to let the rest of the country in on this little secret: Jamal Lewis sucks. If you have him on your team, I pity you. I really do.

Ron had some trouble picking winners in the wide receiver category, but don't we all? In total, my starting receivers combine for a total of 20 points; that's three teams all starting at least two wideouts. Receivers are just so damn hit and miss I can't really blame him, though he is supposedly an expert. Conversely, his picks of Santana Moss and Vincent Jackson as sits was impressive. All I heard about all preseason was, "Vincent Jackson the sleeper, Vincent Jackson the sleeper". And I guess they were right, he was sleeping. All 28 receiving yards of sawing Z's. In fact, he was such a none factor in the game, he started putting me to sleep. It also could have been the 12 beers. Scholars maintain the answer was lost long ago.

With all the big tight ends, Antonio Gate excepted, laying eggs this past week, finding a viable player to fill the position in a sea of mediocrity was a challenge, even for the most experienced deep waiver wire diver. You probably played your main guy, like Gonzalez or Heap or Cooley, netting you a paltry two to four fantasy points. If only you had listened to Ron because everything he says on the subject turned to gold. Most notably his Jason Witten prediction. Bravo, sir. I'll be honest, I didn't listen. I had Witten sitting on the bench in one league and now it's become increasingly hard to type with my right hand constantly punching my groin.

The Bad and the Ugly:

Normally this would be two separate sections but I had a hard time separating Ron's bad calls from his ugly ones, so I combine them.

There's always a flip side isn't there. Many times, at the height of our revelries, we get knocked down farther and faster than we ever thought possible. Maybe Ron wasn't ecstatic about his picks, not at the height of his game, but I'm sure he didn't see the hit coming. If he had, he wouldn't have made the picks, right?

Like removing a band-aid, the best way to get through something pain is to do it quickly. With that in mind, here's a quick list of the bad calls, ignoring the top tier guys that everyone fucked up on:

Guys who should have never started
1. Steve McNair
2. Maurice Jones-Drew
3. Mark Clayton
4. Reggie Brown

Guys who should have never been benched
1. Jay Cutler
2. Marshawn Lynch
3. Calvin Johnson

It looked bad for some of the big name quarterbacks in week one, without a doubt. Brees blew, McNabb looked rusty, Bulger lost a tackle and panicked and Young looked pedestrian. However, it looks worse when all those guys are on your fantasy studs, must start list. No one could have foreseen the Pace thing and Young never has good games against Jacksonville, meaning he shouldn't have even been on the list. But, is it possible that he also underrated a few defenses - mainly Indy and Green Bay?

Speaking of misplacing value. Apparently, Ron really thought the Raider's defense was for real, sitting or not mentioning all of the Detroit players. An assertion I never really bought into. And what do you know, the Raider's defense stunk like a festering pile of crap on a hot summer day. It's not just Ron. Everyone thought the Raider's defense would be better. I'm betting the gurus start to change their tune with the predictions this week.

The biggest thing I took away from Ron's predictions was that maybe quarterbacks and wide receivers just aren't his thing. Everyone has strengths and weakness. I'll keep track of it and let you know.

The Breakdown:

Quarterbacks: D+ (1.3)
Running Backs: C+ (2.6)
Wide Recievers: C+ (2.3)
Tight Ends: B (3.1)

Editors Note: I'll post the other two review I owe tomorrow. I've got the day off of work so I should have plenty of time for the fun of blogging.

No comments: