Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sticking the Neck Out

I used to think Dan was bright. In fact, I counted him as one of the smartest people I know; that is, until today. Dan, in a monumental blunder, actually asked me for fantasy football advice. Like who to play this week kind of advice. And, as much as I've espoused to be no expert when it comes to this type of thing, Dan was relentless with his one email. Seriously, he would not be placated, his email was still sitting in my inbox every time I checked. A great man once said, "A friend in need is a pest", but I can't just leave him high and dry, right? So here's the question and my response. And when it turns out that my advice was total crap, I'll quit life and become a goat herder along the shores of New Guinea.

Dan's question:

Who from the following should I play this week at running back?

1. Willie Parker (obvious yes - unless he dies this week)
2. Marion Barber III, LenDale White, Chris Brown, or Brandon Jacobs (injuries screw me over in the first week, what the hell?)

or

Brandon Jacobs? - hold till recovery or waste of roster.

My answer:

1. Like you said, you're going to play Willie. He's a number one and must start every week, especially the way the Steeler's offense looked in preseason and the first game.

2. Jacobs is out for the next three to five, so he's automatically on your bench. Don't get rid of him, though. Five weeks does not a fantasy season make and the sprained MCL shouldn't have any lasting effects. Derrick Ward looked good filling in and I picked him up in a couple leagues just to keep him off other people's rosters, but I don't think he's any threat to take over.

3. Out of the rest of your guys, I think you've got to play the matchups. Marion plays Miami and Chris and LenDale play Indy. Neither contest looks too good in the running back department but I'd have to go with Marion. Miami's defense gave up 400 total yards last week to a questionable Redskin offense, 191 of which were on the ground. With the playmakers Dallas has on offense, they're going to put up some points, translating into at least a few goal line opportunities for Barber as well as a few other carries here and there. Should be enough to net him 60 to 70 yards and a score. Indy's D on the other hand looked great, quick and sure-tackling, meaning I'm going to stay way until they show some cracks.


Being a New Guinea goat herder is going to suck hard. Damn it!

P.S. Jeremy, any thoughts on the subject (the question not goat herding)? Also, if anyone would like to comment, on anything, feel free. That's why the comment section is there.

5 comments:

Dk said...

Sweet advice, I'll kindly use the axe when it doesn't work out. Is herding New Guinea goats more difficult than other kinds? I'm totally naive when it comes to goats ... I try to avoid goat cheese, too.

Dk said...

The Sharks say ---
RB Marion Barber: Will share the carries AND snag a TD. ( 70 yds rush and 1 TD; 2 catches for 20 yds )

RB Chris Brown: Won't find as much room to run this week against Indy... ( 75 yds rush; 1 catch for 5 yds )

RB LenDale White: Won't put up the numbers this week against Indianapolis... ( 60 yds rush; 2 catches for 10 yds )

By that reasoning Marion is it.

Yep, too much time on the hands today.

Dk said...

Yahoo! experts say ---
Using the rankings

Brandon Funston
RB Marion Barber 21
RB Chris Brown 20
RB LenDale White Unranked

Andy Behrens
RB Marion Barber 17
RB Chris Brown 34
RB LenDale White Unranked

Brad Evans
RB Marion Barber 19
RB Chris Brown 20
RB LenDale White Unranked

So, tight decision - lean towards Marion Barber (who barring injury), I'll probably play this week.

Dk said...

Here's the result ...

Good call!

Marion Barber III = 89 yds rush, 2 TD, 6 receive yds = 20 fantasy pts

Chris Brown = 34 rush yds, 2 receive yds = 3 fantasy pts

LenDale White = 64 rush yds, 1 TD = 12 fantasy pts

Tennessee rushing is going to be impossible to predict until one of these guys gets hurt. Not that I root for that ... but that's going to be messy.

Calitri said...

Well at least I escaped one week without looking like a total idiot. Bring on the next question I guess. Maybe I'll get on a roll.